Ontario Highway 6
Great Spirit Circle Trail
May 31st 2008
Whitefish River First Nation (Ojibwe: Adikamegoshii-ziibiing) is an Ojibwe First Nation in Manitoulin District, Ontario. It is a member of the United Chiefs and Councils of Manitoulin. Its reserve is located at Whitefish River.
The reserve is one of the few subdivisions of Manitoulin District that is not on Manitoulin Island or its surrounding islands. This mainland peninsula is also a corridor for Ontario Highway 6 and the only bridge to Manitoulin Island.
In June 2023, during National Indigenous Peoples Day, the first monument to Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women east of Winnipeg was erected outside the reserve's community centre. It was designed by Indigenous artists from Orillia, Ontario-based Signature Memorials and was jointly funded by the federal and Ontario governments.
Espanola (2016 census population 4,996) is a town in Northern Ontario, Canada, in the Sudbury District. It is situated on the Spanish River, approximately 70 kilometres (43 mi) west of downtown Sudbury and just south of the junction of Highway 6 and Highway 17. The town is where the first experimental rules for the sport of ringette were created in 1963 by Mirl Arthur "Red" McCarthy using a group of local high school girls. Today, Espanola is considered "The Home of Ringette," while North Bay, Ontario, is considered the "Birthplace of Ringette" though the title of "birthplace of Ringette" is often shared by both.
The name "Espanola" has been attributed to a story which dates back to the mid-18th century. The story goes that a First Nations Ojibwa tribe met a man who had travelled far from Spain. The Spanish man named Frise Espagnol married a local Anishinaabe (First Nations) of a family living near the mouth of the river, and he taught her and their children to speak Spanish. Later, when the French voyageurs and coureurs des bois came upon the settlement and heard fragments of Spanish spoken by the local natives, they remarked "Espagnole," which had been later anglicized to "Espanola," and the river was named the Spanish River.
Keep On Trucking'
Blind River Camping Site
OLD MILL MOTEL
Ontario Highway 17 & Wawa
The Village Inn Restaurant Motel Ontario
22337 Highway 17 East Huron Shores Ontario
The Red Dog Inn is located directly on the Trans-Canada Highway 17 and in downtown Terrace Bay.
Thunder Bay KOA Camping
Fort William was a city in Ontario, Canada, located on the Kaministiquia River at its entrance to Lake Superior. It amalgamated with Port Arthur and the townships of Neebing and McIntyre to form the city of Thunder Bay in January 1970. Since then, it has been the largest city in Northwestern Ontario. The city's Latin motto was A posse ad esse (From a possibility to an actuality), featured on its coat of arms designed in 1900 by town officials, "On one side of the shield stands an Indian dressed in the paint and feathers of the early days; on the other side is a French voyageur; the cent[re] contains a grain elevator, a steamship and a locomotive, while the beaver surmounts the whole."
Fort William and Grand Portage were the two starting points for the canoe route from the Great Lakes to Western Canada.
Kamanistigouian, as a place, is first mentioned in a decree of the Conseil Souverain de la Nouvelle-France dated 23 August 1681 instructing one of two canoes to make known the king's amnesty to coureurs de bois. However, the Kaministiquia River is depicted on the 1671 "Carte des Jésuites" as "R. [rivière] par où l'on va aux Assinipoualacs à 120 lieues vers le Nord-Ouest."In late 1683 or spring 1684, Daniel Greysolon, Sieur du Lhut, established a trading post near the mouth of the Kaministiquia River. French authorities closed this post in 1696 because of a glut in the fur market. In 1717, a new post, Fort Kaministiquia, was established by Zacharie Robutel de la Noue at the river mouth. This post appears on 18th-century French maps by Royal hydrographer Jacques-Nicolas Bellin as "Fort Caministogoyan". The post was abandoned in 1758 or 1760 during the British conquest of New France.